Tuesday, September 19, 2006

You could be excused for thinking I was dead.

I actually nearly almost was - well in a metaphorical way. I have officially started the PhD. In itself not so scary, you have to break it all down into easily digestable bits. So, at present it is reading, reading, reading - and worrying, about what I am reading, that is, if it is relevant. A this stage it probably doesn't matter toooo much. The idea initially is to develop a comprehensive annotated bibliography, one that summarises all the major angles around the topic one is studying. You need, I guess a hundred or so significant pieces of work that capture the main debates and wisdom of the area.

That's what I'm doing at present. I've discovered a cool piece of software called Scholars Aid which helps one do this very well. The chopped down freeware version (Scholars Aid Lite) is available.

The Topic!?
Ok, lets run a little competition here. If you think you know post a comment. Haha, no one will guess (that is no one that doesn't already know).

1 comment:

rach said...

I have no idea what the topic is, but that's not the point of this comment...the point is tosay congrats on starting the phD and good luck! oh, and to apologize for completely erasing all connection to the blogger world thu rendering your link to "rachel's insignificant glitch" completely useless (i got sick of having more than one blog going on which i was posting the same things)...